I have a 2nd phone screen with microsoft this evening which if it goes well I will have onsite interviews with them and could potentially get a job offer. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I'd rather work for Amazon or microsoft.
amazon pros:
- pay is very similar according to glassdoor. Supposedly Amazon actually pays a little more when you add up bonuses and everything but take home regular pay is probably less.
- A lot of projects to work on...the company runs lean so there is always a lot of work to do.
- Your choice of technologies to work with.
- Innovation and creativity highly encouraged.
- Collaborative work culture
- You're closer to the customer experience so you get to see your impact on the company a lot easier.
- SDET = SDE here. if I'm a developer in test vs a developer it is truly considered the same here which is awesome. switching will be a lot easier.
microsoft pros:
- take home pay is higher but not as much bonusing ends up being less money all together between the two.
- free parking....literally I'm paying min of 14$/day to park at amazon.
- way better benefits.
- its' microsoft! ...big name
- get to work with a lot of very smart talented people.
- get to learn about microsoft technologies better.
amazon cons:
- parking!! I'm not a fan of the bus cause I need flexibility to get home to my girls,..but the more I work here the more I'm seriously thinking I need to look into it. I hate taking the bus!
- don't like working in the big city because of traffic and concern about safety in a big city.
- on-call every amazon employee has to be on call every couple weeks or something for the weekends because amazon is a website requireing 24hr support.
- a lot of socially awkward people here.
microsoft cons:
- microsoft gets a bad rep
- learning microsoft technologies will not necessarily further my career where i need to go doing work from home. c# is used a lot of places but not necessarily in work from home situations which I hoping is my next career move.
- performance review process is based on employee rank so everyone is watching out for their "rank" during the year. If you don't protect yourself during the year you might find yourself at the end of the list.
- 50+ hours. supposedly at amazon some people work this too it probably applies both places but I've heard microsoft is definitely at least 50 hours which means more than occasionally more.
- a lot of over-confident people here who are also passionate....i can see the fireworks now. :)
So what do you think? Which place would you rather work and why?
2 comments:
ha. I think i'd rather work at amazon. it sounds more flexible in terms of being yourself. I feel like microsoft sounds more here is what we do and you will do it exactly this way too. I dont know. :D
Now having worked there I would choose it every time! Loved working at Amazon. I love the culture and values and loved the ownership and skills that I learned there. The technology is always changing and Amazon is expanding to such a diverse portfolio of products that even if you get tired of what you're working on you can just try out something new within amazon. I loved working there.
Post a Comment