I've been promising my girls that we would do another craft but I keep getting caught unprepared and so we've put it off. I finally got my act together and came up with this fun Hair Accessories craft. The idea is that they make hair accessories from mostly odds and ends and then "display" them afterward by wearing them with an outfit to school or something. This was an activity for "Developing Talents" the part about making a craft and displaying it.
The girls had a blast and I was super surprised (as I knew I would be) with what they came up with.
I prepared by getting several scraps of fun and random exciting ribbons (you know the crazy fun oddball ones that you wish you could get away with putting on an outfit but wouldn't dare actually wear somewhere), a cute colored feather boa (for the feathers), flowers, clips, headbands, hair ties, and even fat quarters scraps of fabric from the quilting fabric store.
We used glue guns to attach the ribbons, fabrics, and flowers to the clips, and headbands. The hair ties didn't work out because I got a really small size and nobody was sure how to really attach it anyway so we sort of scrapped that one.
The girls began pulling the flowers apart and combining different colors of petals to create multi-colored flowers. Some girls attached feathers to the sides of their headbands to add style. One of the girls actually made a sort of veil out of hers with some really flowy ribbon and fabric scraps with some drapey flowers running along the sides sorta like princess leia or something it turned out super cute. They had a lot of fun creating something from their own ideas and were pleased with what they came up with. Some of the girls even turned it into a bit of service as they were making some of the bows for younger siblings rather than themselves.
You'd think that this little stinker got into my supplies but in truth she was mostly out of the picture during all the action. I was manning the hot glue gun the entire time since most of the girls were afraid of getting burned and so the chaos ensued free to leash itself upon my living room inflicted by those crazy enthusiastic girls while they worked on their projects.
We had a good time and I keep thinking how am I ever going to keep coming up with these fun activities. One of these days I'm going to run out and these girls are going to get sick of having "lesson" activities. Until next week's activity days activity then. See ya.
No comments:
Post a Comment