We had 3 girls show up tonight. This activity is from the Preparing for Young Women's Section where the girls are supposed to learn about the 13th article of faith and make lists of things that are virtuous lovely or of good report or praiseworthy and then discuss with a teacher or parent how to seek after them.
yes I know I forgot to actually write "Indeed we may say we follow the admonition of Paul: we believe all things,..." I thought it but I was hurriedly writing while the girls were watching me so my brain skipped it since I already said it in my head. So for the first half of the hour we discussed what the article of faith meant. If you have an adoreable 2 year old I suggest getting a babysitter as there were plenty of distractions happening during this time and it was occasionally difficult to stay focused. I found that the girls didn't know more than 1 of the main words in the article so we went over each phrase in the article of faith and discussed what the words and phrases meant. Then once we got through it and I emphasized what it meant to seek after something that we want to surround ourselves with that thing or do things that fall into those categories or what have you then we got down to the nitty gritty and started making our collages!I rummaged through barnes and noble and bought a couple of kids/parent magazines, health magazine, and I even threw in an old ensign at the end that they could cut things from. I figured if we have to make a list what more fun than making a collage of pictures. I'm a visual person. We wrote the words "We seek after these things" on the paper and then surrounded the words with pictures. It was fun.
I did find that I had to monitor what the girls were cutting out and challenge them to find one of each kind of thing and to identify how every single thing they cut out was either virtuous, lovely, or of good report (yields good results or attributes), or praiseworthy (requiring a lot of work to accomplish something great). I also intentionally avoided getting magazines that had things like Justin Beiber in them. I was really tempted to get a justin beiber magazine but since one of my girls is particularly afflicted with "beiber fever" and gets pretty disruptive, I decided to stick with more wholesome less worldly magazines since I really wanted this to be a more spiritual learning activity. I think it turned out well and I think the girls had a good time and while they didn't completely grasp what the words meant they got the general idea I think. Until Next time. Hope you enjoyed my activity idea. 



No comments:
Post a Comment