Friday, February 25, 2011

Activity Days

I've been promising my activity days girls a fun craft activity and I'm finally going to do one.  We're going to make Hair clips!  How fun.  I need to get the stuff on saturday so that I'm prepared but I'm just going to get the materials and then let the girls have at it.  I'll have to post some of the finish products on here when we're done.

I have this philosophy about crafts and I think it serves the girls best when you give them tools but let them create on their own.  Some of the girls will start out copying each other but when you don't set the activity to a limited style you'll be amazed at what wonderful things they come up with.  I remember kind of hating unstructured activities like this when I was younger cause I usually took a little bit longer to make a plan for what I wanted to do than some of the other girls did, but I think regardless in the end, the style that you come up with is much more individual than it otherwise would be.  It's a growing opportunity right and we do better when we learn from growing opportunities than when we're handed ideas on a platter.   I'm excited and I can't wait to see what the girls come up with.  I have the 8 and 9 year old girls I think. 

5 comments:

Karrae said...

I have a ton of flowers and leaves and clips if you wanna use them...the flowers are all fall colored though....

Magic Moments said...

I am now your first follower "Stressa!" Looking forward to all of your crafty and creative posts! ;)

Kerstin said...

You get to work with the Activity Day girls? Lucky! I think that would be such a fun calling. I hope you post pictures of the final products.

stressa said...

yes totally! I'm excited to have followers. :) yay. I do enjoy having them over. It takes some creativity and a little planning ahead of time which I mostly stink at but the girls sure love it and I'm glad it's working out so far. Hope you enjoy the pics. I need a better camera.

stressa said...

and karrae your flowers were a hit!